Monday, February 13, 2006

Guten Tag!/It's a small world

(This post has two titles, you'll see why)

Hey folks. It's me again. Things are still going good here. Yesterday we went to the capital, Bern, that was alot of fun (sorry, no pictures, but it was beautiful). We were just walking around talking and seeing the sights and as we passed by some tables I heard someone say, "Have you ever been to Minnesota?" I thought that was pretty funny being that I'm from Minnesota and all so I just glance at the table and the guy who asked it is looking at me. It was then that I realized I was wearing a Gophers sweatshirt. To make a long story short he is from Minneapolis and is now living in Zurich and he knows of Mound and all that good stuff and we talked. Yeah. So I gave him my e-mail address and he might contact me sometime so we can meet in Zurich. I won't bring any valuables though, in case he robs me. So we parted ways and literaly ten seconds later I hear a guy say, "Hey, Minnesota! How about them Vikings?" Turns out that this guy is from St. Paul and we also talked for a while. It was crazy. So I pointed out the guy from Minneapolis and he said he was gonna walk by him and make some comment about how Minneapolis sucks, just to see what the guy will do. It was a good time, and there was much rejoicing.


I had my first German class this morning. As you can see from the title I already have a tremendous grasp of the language. I can hold at least a 5 to 7 second conversation. So that's pretty exciting. The class is 2 hours in the morning Monday through Friday for 4 weeks. I am the youngest (by far) in a class of about 12 people and the only American. There are people from Turkey, France, India and who knows where else. There is one particular fellow from Nigeria who I talked to after class while I was waiting for the bus. His English wasn't bad, I was catching about two thirds of everything he was saying, but he said that he is from Nigeria and is now living here with his wife. Then I told him I'm from America from the state of Minnesota and for some reason right after that he asked, "You Christian?" (he had to repeat it a couple times, I couldn't tell what he was asking, but anyway) So obviously I told him, "Yes I am." Right then he got a big smile on his face and yelled "Me too! I believe in GOD." And right there in the middle of the bus station we started talking about God and what He's doing in our lives and just how amazing He is and rejoicing and laughing and sharing all our thoughts and praises. It was awesome. Who woulda thought that a Minnesotan and a Nigerian who have known each other for two and half hours can so quickly have something in common that makes them feel like brothers. It was sa-weet. He had to leave shortly so that's all there is to tell so far, but I'll be seeing him alot. Perhaps there will be something more to inform you about in the future.



Auf Wiedersehen!

7 comments:

JW said...

Well atleast that first dude didn't offer you candy. Because as you know, while its ok to pretty much do anything with strangers, just don't take their candy. So you ended up taking a German class? Sounds like it might be a different one than you were originally planning?

Thats pretty sweet about the Nigerian fellow. It really is amazing what kind of "coincidences" can happen when He's got your back. ;)

Anonymous said...

The second half of your title, auf Deutsch, would be "Es ist eine kleine Weld."

Heather said...

Jesse-
What an amazing experience. I love this blog and Tim Babatz is a flippin genius. I will write more lata! Love ya!

Heather

ashpad said...

i like the nigerian guy. i think we could be friends.

Anonymous said...

Hello my younger brother! It is time for me to burst onto the scene! You need wait no longer! Never again will my name be absent from the comments section of your posts, young one. My entire family has commented, your dumpy friends have commented, and, for the love of Oz, MY friends have commented, but no more! I will become a contributor! I will not be silent! So with no further ado, I give you my first comment!

...um...that was a great story...I like the Nigerian too...um...Tim is pretty smart...you smell like pea soup.

-Jaron

JW said...

Update! Update! Update! Its been 2 days. Don't get stingy!

Heather said...

Pretty sure I have the two coolest brothers ever. I love you guys.